Dog accidentally lights stove and sets Missouri home on fire


Recently shared camera pictures from a home just outside of Kansas City, Missouri shows something straight out of an owner’s nightmare: The resident dog has managed to light the stove and light a fire.

Fortunately, the two dogs that live in the house were rescued, but the house suffered serious damage.

The story reminds all pet parents that we need to take fire safety precautions with our pets. This situation could have ended much worse.

How did the dog start the fire?

According to an investigation into the incident by the Southern Platte Fire Protection District, one of the home’s two resident dogs stood on its hind legs and peered at the stove.

During this process, the dog’s paws landed on top of the stove and they managed to activate a touchscreen button that operates the stove.

The owners had also left a pot full of grease from dinner overnight on the stove, and after the kitchen filled with smoke, a fire started.

The Southern Platte Fire Protection District has advised anyone with a touchscreen stove to always use the locks and security features on the unit to help prevent such fires from starting.

Fire safety tips to protect your own dog

(Photo credit: IzaLysonArts/500px/Getty Images)

Fortunately, no one or animal was harmed in this story, but it reminds us that we need to take fire safety seriously with our pets.

When it comes to fire safety tips to protect your own dog, here are some key things to remember:

  • Add stove knob covers to your stove to prevent your dog from accidentally turning it on.
  • Use flameless candles instead of wick candles.
  • Keep electrical cords out of reach and secure so your dog won’t chew on them.
  • Avoid leaving electric blankets unattended if your dog shows an interest in napping on them. This is because, just like with electrical cords, your dog could chew on the blanket.
  • Also, be sure to stay alert and safe around any outdoor situations that involve a fire, such as summer barbecues or nights around a fire pit.

Has your dog ever accidentally turned on a stove or oven? How do you make sure your dog stays safe in the house? Let us know in the comments below.

Comments are closed.