Pet owner warns others after dog nearly died chewing on asthma inhaler

Claire Tyrrell said anyone who uses blue inhalers or keeps them in their home, car, bags or pockets should ensure they are kept out of reach of pets.

Pickle got off quickly and couldn’t stand by the time she reached the vet

A dog owner warned others after his Labrador nearly died chewing on an asthma inhaler.

Claire Tyrrell’s dog Pickle fell ill very quickly after puncturing an inhaler with her tooth.

Vets initially believed she had heart disease or a tumor around her heart, warning Claire they may need to perform open heart surgery.

But it turned out that Pickle had been poisoned with salbutamol toxins when her teeth pierced the inhaler cartridge, injecting around 200 doses into her eyes.

From there, he traveled rapidly throughout the rest of his body with almost fatal consequences.

Claire has issued a warning telling anyone who uses blue inhalers or keeps them in their home, car, bags or pockets to ensure they are kept out of reach of pets.








Claire Tyrrell’s dog Pickle fell ill very quickly after piercing an inhaler with her tooth
(

Picture:

David Austin)




Do you have a story? E-mail [email protected]

Claire explained, “Our beautiful, spirited dog, Pickle, was in great pain with sudden lethargy, heavy breathing very fast and barely about to open his eyes.

“I rushed her to the vet and told them there was no sign at home that she had eaten something she shouldn’t have eaten when I had been out for about. an hour and a half.

“The vet wasn’t sure exactly what was wrong, but said Pickle was in a lot of pain – she collapsed on the vet’s floor and her normally wiggly tail remained very still.








The inhaler with the shot in it
(

Picture:

Austin Black)




“She had blood tests and x-rays but within two hours of her symptoms appearing the vet called to say they were having trouble stabilizing Pickle and an ultrasound now showed fluid around her. heart and a heart murmur.

“They thought it was either heart disease or a tumor around his heart and warned me that they might have to do open heart surgery.

“But at the end of the call, the vet wanted to check that she hadn’t eaten anything toxic, because Labradors are known to be scavengers and our daughter is no exception.

“She said, ‘Sorry I keep asking, it’s just that I’ve treated quite a few Labradors with these symptoms even though they had salbutamol toxins.”

Salbutamol, also known as albuterol, is sold under the brand name Ventolin and is a drug that opens the airways in the lungs and is called by most people an inhaler.

And in Claire’s house, three family members are using inhalers.








Pickle was shaved for scans and x-rays
(

Picture:

Austin Black)




Claire said: “Three of us in our house are using blue inhalers that contain salbutamol, so I ran around the house looking for a chewed inhaler but couldn’t find anything. Then I saw one in a pot we have in our hallway on a shelf – didn’t think she could have reached it.

“But when I picked the inhaler, there was a little puncture hole. Pickle must have reached the shelf and bit into the can, and because he’s under pressure he released all of his doses to the times, nearly 200, and she must have fallen, letting it fall back into the pot.

“The vet said Pickle was still unstable and deteriorating and now that we knew what had happened it was a 24-48 hour watch and wait situation.

“Pickle was given intravenous fluids and medication to stabilize her heartbeat and potassium levels and luckily she survived the night.

“At 7 a.m. the vets called to say she was doing much better than expected and had already had breakfast.”

Pickle was allowed to return home later that day and has since recovered and all of the family’s inhalers are counted and stored safely out of her reach.


Source link

Comments are closed.